Monday, October 19, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_6IODy0mU

This episode of the Simpsons does a little skit off of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven." This poem is a very popular and dark poem. I think because this poem was played out by the Simpsons, which is a very popular show, it appealed to the younger crowd more. When I saw this episode it kind of made me understand the poem even more because I saw it played out and it was entertaining. I think that this is a very fun way to make poetry more relate-able and enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkdgK3adrmw

The second reference of poetry in in pop culture that I could think of was from the movie Coach Carter. In that film the poem "Our Deepest Fear" by Marianne Williamson. This poem is a very inspirational poem and it went really well with this film because it was supposed to be portrayed as a an inspiration movie. That was the first time I heard that poem and I really liked it. I think that because it was a big part of the movie, it became more known amongst teenagers. This poem is much more straight forward so it is easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment